Re: Newbie question: How do I create an SQL*Net Alias in Oracle 8i?

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:37:53 GMT

<arch> wrote:

> How do I create an SQL*Net Alias in Oracle 8i?

Several methods are described in the Oracle Networking manuals. One of the simplest is to edit tnsnames.ora usually found on the client that needs the alias in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/. (That's assuming tnsnames.ora is indeed used and no alternate location has been set.)

... but be aware that it is easy to mess up and disable all Oracle networking on that client machine. (So you might want to be comfortable with the manual - just in case.)

/Hans Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 12:37:53 CDT