Re: Oracle 9i RAC vs Hardware clustering (like HACMP)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:15:41 -0700

Dusan Bolek wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098422612.755320_at_yasure>...
>

>>I specifically stated that you would still need to pay Oracle for RAC in
>>what I wrote. There is, however, no need to pay IBM or anyone else for
>>clusterware. And I was, of course, referring to 10g.

> In Oracle 10g this is indeed true, but I wrote "but not everyone wants
> to move to 10G yet", so my post was written from 9i perspective.
> Oracle 10g is still quite fresh (just after first patchset) and not
> everyone likes to be an early adopter.

I understand the relucance. So lets ask the question ... has anyone had the experience of moving to 10g and had a problem that caused them to stop or move back to 9i?

Every app I have moved from 9i to 10g, two so far this year both large very large have been rock solid and yielded substantial performance gains.

So does anyone have an example of a good reason not to move based on experience rather than fear of the unknown?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington