Re: Surrogate Key vs Production Key

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 23 Oct 2004 07:47:02 -0700

Someone <abc_at_def.com> wrote in message news:<AeidnTCHLYcgYuXcRVn-jg_at_golden.net>...

> I'm sorry Ed. That was uncalled for and inappropriate. I was just
> trying to take some heat off of Noons, as he consistently posts well
> informed and constructive posts (unlike this last one from me) and just
> seems to me that no one is respecting his experience and opinion on this
> topic (I respect your opinion Noons).

No worries. Just a few comments, so you don't think anyone singled you out. Respect is earned, chief. Never simply assumed. And it's not to be taken for granted either. Not the case here either: this is just a disagreement on mostly academic grounds. Hence why I said the other stuff was uncalled for.

Do you recall when Joe said he enjoyed a good tussle and most modern ones were with easily offended kids (or words to that effect)? Basically, Joe and I go back a long time to the Compuserve days and even before. When and where people could disagree and strongly argue their points of view. Without really taking much mutual offence. Or ending up in legal hot waters; like some who appear to use that as a last resort.

It's OK for people to argue with passion. Some chose to call it "getting emotional". Pile of rubbish, mostly based on prejudice. Passion is not emotion. There is too little of the former nowadays. That's why we have so much rubbish going on in IT: many have given up defending technical theory and have accepted "marketing" as a replacement without a fight.

Too bad. It won't happen with me and Joe that's for sure. Relax and enjoy the proceedings: we are all learning here. Hey, Joe in his days at DBMS magazine used to say Dbase4 was the way of the future and all this SQL stuff was crap (he probably was right: SQL in those days was pretty much rubbish!). Of course he's changed his mind. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty wrong when one doesn't do that, though.

There is no such thing as "sacred cows". Well maybe there is, but we better keep their output out of technical arenas: it tends to stink.... :) Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 09:47:02 CDT