Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 23 Oct 2004 07:06:09 -0700

Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<2tqu5gF21ve94U1_at_uni-berlin.de>...

> They believe by storing their data in tables and having some RI they are
> using an RDBMS.

Ah!, but it's "got a SQL engine", you see? Gotta be good... :)

> All they have done is found persistent storage for their data which then
> is "processed" using nested cursors and procedural languages.

Bingo. They "encapsulate" that too, in "beans". It's all soooo mnemonic, isn't it?

> The _center piece_ of RDBMS: "relational alegbra" ends up as roadkill in
> the ditch. 30 years of research and all there is to show for it is that
> data is stored in tables.

"Algebra"? What, you now wanna mix religion into this? Narh, let's dumb down the industry and its players: best way of ensuring mediocrity gets a free ride, masquerading as new "technology".

> I should be fine with it.. it does sell hardware.

Of course it does. Wait until MySQL is the only one used: that will open the floodgates. Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 09:06:09 CDT