Re: spfile vs pfile in 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:14:57 +1000

Fabrizio wrote:

[snip]

> Thank you! I was unaware of this functionality.

No problems.

> Actually I find extremely useful comments like:
> #workaround for bug xxxxxx
> or
> #modified by xxxxx (date xx/xx/xxxx)
> in a pfile.

No one doubts the information is important and useful. The question is whether it should be *in* the init.ora. My contention is, it shouldn't be.

> I believe a separate changelog file is also handy but having a track in
> the pfile itself is much faster (always given my poor DBA skill).

Much faster for what? Tracking down why changes happened? True. Working out what's actually been set? Probably not. And that's the point.

Your experiences are your experiences, of course. But as a matter of best practice, don't clutter your init.ora.

In fact, take the spfile as a model of what the init.ora should be: short one-liners sorted alphabetically, with the bare minimum of non-configuration information.

> Grateful for the new knowledge.

I like finding new things out too! It's fun, isn't it?!

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 08:14:57 CDT