Difference between DESC & user_tab_columns

From: Praveen <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:46:40 -0700

Hi..All,

     When I do a DESC on a table , one of the columns shows the datatype(lenght) as Number(38). But when I look at the details of the column it shows something else. How does it come up with a different lenght Or where does desc pick it from when you do a DESC? Is there any other logic involved?

Column Details :

TABLE_NAME COLUMN_NAME
DATA_TYPE DAT

---

DATA_TYPE_OWNER DATA_LENGTH DATA_PRECISION DATA_SCALE N COLUMN_ID DEFAULT_LENGTH

TIA P/ Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 14:46:40 CDT