Re: default settings in 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:31:20 +0200

On 22 Oct 2004 02:41:26 -0700, richardpstanton_at_yahoo.com (Richard Stanton) wrote:

>I've been testing our asp scripts and have noticed to my dismay that
>they run more slowly than on the previous version. Is this a symptom
>of bloat-ware, or do I need to do some tuning to get the most out of
>it? The server is a 1ghz dual processor pentium 3 with a gig of ram,
>and the previous machine was a pentium 2 400mhz so I was expecting a
>performance hike.

You are leaving out way too much information. Did you ever change the init.ora parameters in 8.0.5? If so, the init.ora parameters need to be checked against your 9i installation, the 9i parameters need to be the same or higher. They are not necessarily so.
Are you using CBO or RBO? If so, do you know the CBO has been completely revamped in 8i and 9i, so you can't expect identical execution paths. If you are using CBO, are accurate statistics being present in your database.
Are you sure (you don't specify how much RAM there is in the pentium 2) system, you are not comparing apples and pears, and your expected 'performance hike' is a mere *assumption*?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA