Re: Fail Safe Installation Question

From: Gerold Krommer <g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:19:04 +0200

Hi,

I'm actually surprised about the confusion my post created.

HACMP compares to MS Cluster. Both manage something that I call genericly(?) a package.
A package contains volume groups to be (exclusively) mounted on the active node, an IP address to follow wherever the package runs and one ore more applications (I know, I'm oversimplifiying but since I got so much from this conference I want to donate to)

Fail Safe is something that obviously sits between the MS Cluster Service and the package. Why it is exactly needed, I do not know. Unix systems do not have anything similar. I have installed such 'hot standyby' solutions on HPUX (MC/Service Guard, Solaris (Veritas Cluster) and AIX (HACMP) without anything like that. I guess, it is the MS way of doing things differently that makes this extra service neccessary.

Why is it cheaper than RAC? Because the license says, that if the instance does not run more than 10 days per year on the other node no extra license is neccessary.

In our situation the other node in the cluster runs an Informix application, so they back each other up and it is not even an extra HW investment (apart from some extra shared disk).

Thanks for the input,

/Gerold