Re: spreading my wings -- looking for some recommdations/best practices

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2004 15:14:06 -0700

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<2jfdn091hbtpjoie0p4qn1j5c2e1rs68kc_at_4ax.com>...

> The question at hand has to do with placement/specification of the
> archive log files. I know they belong on their own file system, that
> is not a problem. But what I see in these configurations is that in
> one case they chose to specify that destination directly in the pfile;
> in the other case the pfile actually references a symbolic link
> defined in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/arch, said link pointing to the actual
> destination, on a dedicated file system. (I've also seen the
> archivelogs actually placed in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/arch. Even *I* see
> problems there!) I'm leaning towards having the pfile refer to the
> link rather than the actual destination. My thinking is that it would
> give us more flexibility if we decided we needed to relocate the files
> -- we would just redefine the link and Oracle would never know the
> difference.
>
> Pros? Cons? Is my inclination leading me down the road to hell?

If you are comfortable with this, then you probably can be comfortable with links:

oracle:DARTH_at_deathstar /home2/oracle$ echo "gimme a drink" > foo
oracle:DARTH_at_deathstar /home2/oracle$ ln -s foo bar
oracle:DARTH_at_deathstar /home2/oracle$ rm foo
oracle:DARTH_at_deathstar /home2/oracle$ cat bar
cat: Cannot open bar: No such file or directory oracle:DARTH_at_deathstar /home2/oracle$ ls bar bar

> On a similar note, I've gone back and forth on my thinking about where
> to place home-grown scripts and utilities ... the two choices being in
> the oracle user's $HOME/scripts (where $HOME is something like
> /local/home/oracle) or in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/scripts. I know, some
> people insist that oracle's $HOME should be at or near
> $ORACLE_BASE/admin, but that's a different issue . . .

Definitely the former, plus additional dir's for development, personal and archived scripts, as well as output dir's for the script output and archived output. I'll bet you have scripts that survive Oracle version upgrades.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
KLSD is the actual callsign of a radio station, Liberal San Diego.