Re: poor man's partitioning

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:22:29 GMT

I should've explained better.
The purpose is to have separate physical 'structures' in the background. The table stores LOBs, and grows very large. It is backed up via exp. Sometimes when a few LOBs get corrupted, we like to restore only part of the table (e.g. partition) to a separate schema, and 'restore' the needed LOBs from there (instead of restoring 500G, we'd restore X/500G where X is the number of partitions)

if only imp had a WHERE clause :)

So not so much looking for performance improvement..

Thnx.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:19:25 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>NetComrade wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> How would you do hash partitioning on a table (e.g. you were running
>> Standard edition).
>>
>> With range partitioning, I assume it's easy, just create a view on top
>> of X tables (e.g. for every month).
>>
>> Thanks
>> We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
>> remove NSPAM to email
>
>Use a hash cluster (are they EE or SE?? I can't recall. But you certainly
>don't need the partitioning option to make them work). A Hash Cluster chops
>up a single table into multiple internal 'ranges' ( or 'hash buckets'), and
>a 'select where ID=763' gets optimised into 'ah, 763 would be stored in
>that part of the segment, so I won't bother looking at the other parts'.
>Whilst you are still eliminating bits of a segment from being
>scanned/searched, which is a bit like partition elimination, you are
>actually working with just one segment.
>
>They can work extremely well.
>
>Regards
>HJR
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 16:22:29 CDT