Re: Fail Safe Installation Question

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:10:34 +0200

Gerold Krommer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not totally clear about the Fail Safe Installation instructions.
>
> The manual seems to recommend that the Oracle Software should be installed
> twice (local to each node of a 2 node cluster) , with the database being on
> a shared disk.

Which is correct for MS Cluster.

> While this is the MS way of doing it, it is not the way I'm used to it on
> U*Xes, where the software is also on a shared disk.

MS Cluster don't realy share a disk. One node has it, the other not.

> Therefore all maintenance work has to be done twice (e.g. applying patches,
> upgrading the software-not the database,etc.).

Right. Guess how much fun it is to apply 9.2.0.5 to a Failsafe Database.

> Is my reading of the recommendation correct and will the Oracle Installer
> recognize the fact that e.g. a patch has to be applied to another node and
> do it? I believe SQL Server SP installation does it.

select decode ('Oracle','SQL', 'same', 'different') itis from dual;

it is

different

Cheers,

Holger

PS: There is a problem after installing Failsafe on Windows 2000 and higher, search

     metalink and the google archives for dcomcnfg. Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 05:10:34 CDT