Re: Make table read-only

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:15:02 +1000

Asif Merchant wrote:

> Didnt see it until I finished posting. I understand that it will
> affect lot of things and why would somebody wanna do this.
>
> Anyways the question was can it be done or no. so yes it can be done.

See Michel Cadot's post this morning. And my reply. All the suggestions made in this thread, including that one, are nothing but "workarounds": You can make a table temporarily unavailable for DML. But that is not the same thing as making it actually and really read only.

Whether someone is happy with the temporary workaround is one thing. But it is slack terminology to say a workaround is the same as a solution. Or that yes is the same as no. Or that you can make a table read-only.

But I smell another myth in the making, anyways.

HJR Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 16:15:02 CDT