Re: What does EXTERN, NORMAL, HIGH types mean for ASM diskgroups?

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:45:42 +0200

JL wrote:
> Hi:
>
> We are not sure about what EXTERN, NORMAL, and HIGH
> mean for ASM Diskgroup types.
>
> For example, we have set up an ASM diskgroup with type HIGH.
> Our understanding is that HIGH means there are three copies
> of any file (i.e., there are two mirrors).
>
> But, when Oracle starts writing out archived redo logs to ASM,
> why is there only one archived redo log written out?
> Should there not be multiple copies?
>
> If there is mirroring, where are the mirrored copies?
>
> Lastly, could someone please post the official definitions of EXTERN,
> NORMAL, and HIGH for ASM diskgroups?
>
> Thanks
> John

These definitions along whith the full set of the Oracle documentation can be found on
http://tahiti.oracle.com
Select your version (with diskgroups it has to be 10g), click on the 'Books' tab and in the SQL-Reference search for create diskgroup.

Since the oracle documentation is quite big, I rather send the link instead of the full set ;-)

Holger Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 15:45:42 CDT