Re: Need Statspack help

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:10:13 -0500

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:56:53 GMT, Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote:

>Paul Widner wrote:
>
>> They UNIX SysAdmin told me the drives are running on a SAN with 5 drives
>> in
>> a RAID 5 configuration. The SAN is connected via fiber channel. All DB
>> operations are on this one volumn. Do you think this could be a problem?
>
>RAID 5 might be a contributing factor in performance issues. However, the
>politics behind RAID 5 is such that most believers simply cover their ears
>when someone suggests to reconsider and look at alternatives such as RAID
>1+0.
>
>IF your organization has an open mind, consider reading about the reasons
>why RAID 5 is not optimum - look at the "Why should I not use RAID 5"
>article (and others) at http://www.baarf.com
>
>/Hans

Would it be fair to say that, in spite of the theoretical -- and sometimes real -- performance limitations of RAID-5 (putting aside for the moment considerations of disk failure/recovery issues) if the SA can show that the drive system is not being stressed then RAID-5 is not your bottleneck?

I'd be happy to be able to prove otherwise, but I've consistently lost these battles to SA's, managers and bean-counters who seem to be able to only think in terms of total usable storge. So I've had take a more pragmatic position of "if it's working with acceptable performance. . . " Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 15:10:13 CDT