What does EXTERN, NORMAL, HIGH types mean for ASM diskgroups?

From: JL <john.lem_at_utoronto.ca>
Date: 20 Oct 2004 13:07:15 -0700

Hi:

We are not sure about what EXTERN, NORMAL, and HIGH mean for ASM Diskgroup types.

For example, we have set up an ASM diskgroup with type HIGH. Our understanding is that HIGH means there are three copies of any file (i.e., there are two mirrors).

But, when Oracle starts writing out archived redo logs to ASM, why is there only one archived redo log written out? Should there not be multiple copies?

If there is mirroring, where are the mirrored copies?

Lastly, could someone please post the official definitions of EXTERN, NORMAL, and HIGH for ASM diskgroups?

Thanks
John Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 15:07:15 CDT