Re: Cannot create keep pool ...

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:16:14 +1000

DA Morgan wrote:

> Howard has a far better memory than I it would seem based on what
> he posted. But I still don't think it is directly relevant to the
> stated goal of pinning a table.

Er, the poster said he wanted to "keep" a table. Not "pin" one. Pinning blocks is what happens when they are actually, physically in use and a pinned block therefore cannot ever be dislodged/over-written whilst it is in that state. Keeping table blocks, however, is what happens when they are placed in the keep pool for a read. They can be dislodged via some other reading/data accessing activity which needs the space at any time.

You knew all of this, of course -hence your comment, I suppose. So, I felt, did the original poster. But the thing is, he used the correct terminology and you didn't!

Let's not talk about pinning things unless we specifically mean what that word actually means to Oracle. I have a room-full of students on a monotonous basis talking about "can we pin things in the library cache" or "can we pin a table in the buffer cache", and it's loose talk like this example here that encourages that sort of 'terminological inexactitude'. the pinhit ratio is visible in V$LIBRARYCACHE for a reason!!

It is a minor gripe, I realise.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 02:16:14 CDT