Re: selecting a column according to a minimum

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:11:30 -0400

Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:

> Mark Townsend (markbtownsend_at_comcast.net) wrote:
> : Mikito Harakiri wrote:
> : > Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<2tkf50F20philU1_at_uni-berlin.de>...
>

> : >>IBM policy does not allow me - a DB2 engine developer - to install a
> : >>competitive product. The reasons for that are obvious: It would invite
> : >>lawsuits. Just read the Oracle licencing agreement if you doubt that.
> : >
>
> : I don't think there's anything in the Oracle Trial License agreement
> : that would stop Serge from downloading and trying Oracle Database 10g.
> : After all, IBM are a huge Oracle partner, and they have Oracle software
> : up the gnu.
> : So I think it's more IBM's own internal policies that stops him from
> : doing so
>
> Presumably IBM wants to avoid the chance of stealing, or appearing to
> steal, or being accused of stealing, oracle technology for ibm products.
>
> Allowing ibm employees to access oracle to write sql queries and etc would
> be fine, but allowing their DB2 development team to access oracle is
> presumably not fine.

Correct. The DB2 II development team obviosuly has Oracle installed to write and test wrappers.
Not needing to know I have no access to those machines. If I had O10g on my laptop no one would belive me that I don't look at the optimizer plans. Plans tell a lot about the optimizer and query rewrite. "Reverse engineering"
If I ran a query on O10g and I run the same query on DB2 I would have a hell of a time controlling my tongue (assuming DB2 would be faster ;-) "publishing a benchmark without Oracle's consent". Lawyers are no fun at all :-(

Cheers
Serge Received on Tue Oct 19 2004 - 21:11:30 CDT