Re: Oracle 9ias Server

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:47:25 GMT

sPh <sphealeyxxx_at_xxxworldnet.att.net> wrote in news:NG6dd.11122$OD2.2999_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> > Hans Forbrich wrote:

>> I suggest you get your Oracle sales rep to bring in one or more
>> core-tech presales consultants (instead of the usual functional
>> consultants) to review the stack with you.  You might be pleasantly
>> surprised at what is actually there.
>>
>> If you send me an off-list email with your general location, I might
>> be able to recommend some additional sources of useful information.

> You have actually found people within Oracle who know _anything_ about
> 9iAS? I congratulate you; we usually end up explaining to Support how
> the thing actually works. That is right after Support gives us what
> we have come to call the "all-purpose 9iAS answer": reformat your
> system and reinstall everything from your backup tapes. Gee, if I had
> wanted that solution I would have purchased a Microsoft product to
> begin with.
>
> sPh

Your post gave me a HEARTY chuckle, because that has my EXACT experience WRT 9iAS, which is by far and away the most BUGGY piece of "commercial" s/w I ever had the misfortune of having to support.

9iAS R2 V9.0.2.0.1 right out of the box provides a Report Writer component which can NOT produce a single hardcopy report on a Solaris system. Once I fought me way thru "Tech. Supp." to get this bug acknowledged & fixed. I saw happy for less than 1 minute when I decided to print a 2nd hard copy of the same report I was using for test & discovered it would NOT print a second copy! I had immediately found yet another, another BUG! The temporary work around was to set EngineLife=1 so that the process would DIE after printing EVERY report & so a new process wuold be started to handle the next report. It seems the code was not re-entrant & had NEVER been tested! Received on Tue Oct 19 2004 - 19:47:25 CDT