Re: Oracle 9ias Server

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2004 14:58:34 -0700

sPh <sphealeyxxx_at_xxxworldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<NG6dd.11122$OD2.2999_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> > Hans Forbrich wrote:
> >

> > I suggest you get your Oracle sales rep to bring in one or more core-tech
> > presales consultants (instead of the usual functional consultants) to
> > review the stack with you. You might be pleasantly surprised at what is
> > actually there.
> >
> > If you send me an off-list email with your general location, I might be able
> > to recommend some additional sources of useful information.
>
> You have actually found people within Oracle who know _anything_ about
> 9iAS? I congratulate you; we usually end up explaining to Support how
> the thing actually works. That is right after Support gives us what we
> have come to call the "all-purpose 9iAS answer": reformat your system
> and reinstall everything from your backup tapes. Gee, if I had wanted
> that solution I would have purchased a Microsoft product to begin with.
>
> sPh

I've managed to break the electron wall a couple of times. But it has apparently been a matter of luck, haven't yet figured out how to get there consistently. There definitely has been at least one person in Australia and one person in Florida, and maybe someone's friend in Denver, that know parts of it deeply. In general I've certainly gotten more condescending and useless people than in the rdbms group. A couple of times I've had the definite feeling I'm telling them stuff doesn't work, and they know it, but can't admit it. A couple of times I've gotten the all-purpose answer, with some clues as to why it is so.

I've had no experience at all with AS presales consultants, which is probably for the best. It's more like "we've bought this shelfware, make it work yesterday." Expectations are all out of whack.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Cringe at the flying story.