Re: Fssnap and Oracle 9i

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2004 14:26:18 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41744501$0$20128$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> The original poster wrote: "Will fssnap safely backup a running Oracle
> database?" I wrote: "You can't just copy Oracle files hot. If that's what
> fsnap is doing, it's doomed"
>
> It was at that point you decided to remind everyone that Oracle can do hot
> backups. We *know* that, Joel. Of course the guy could put all tablespaces
> into hot backup mode and then fssnap. But that's not what he was proposing
> to do, or asking about. His question clearly indicates that he wants to
> know whether an fssnap backup *on its own* is safe as a backup method.

Not so clear to me. Maybe you have some other source of magical knowledge about the fellow, but frankly, the questions in the original post implied strongly that _he *didn't know* that_. He's asking if you have to shut down an instance to make a backup, after all. The correct answer is, "no, as long as you follow the ordinary hot backup requirements." That is a long way from what you wrote.

So that makes what you wrote incorrect, and that is what I was responding to. If I misinterpreted the OP, fine, but if not, then you were indeed wrong because you read too much into the question and the response needed clarification.

Either way, you seem to think I generally have it in for you, and I don't. I want this group to have correct information.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
If you google for 'Oracle Tuning Myths', the first hit is an article