Re: spfile vs pfile in 9i

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:13:22 +0200

"Richard Stanton" <richardpstanton_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:87bc8a5f.0410132342.64e5a5bf_at_posting.google.com...

> richardpstanton_at_yahoo.com (Richard Stanton) wrote in message news:<87bc8a5f.0410120846.75eeb98e_at_posting.google.com>...

> > Hello
> >
> > can anyone explain to me what the advantages of using spfiles are over
> > the traditional pfiles? Is it just the ability to make changes to the
> > database on the fly without editing files etc?
That's one of them. You can do persistent changes without rebooting the database. The other is that data guard does a lot of fiddling around with initialisation parameters that have to survive a reboot. So, data guard requires spfiles.

> > Also, why are there so many pfiles created for each database in 9i,
> > and what do they all do?

Huh? I've got one, and even that only when I want one.

> > I have a test database and the following pfiles have been created for
> > it:
> >
> > oracle\ora92\database\inittest.ora
> > oracle\ora92\sysman\ifiles\def_TEST.domain.co.UK.ora
> > oracle\admin\test\pfile\init.ora

do a lsnrctl services
how many databases are you running?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Tue Oct 19 2004 - 07:13:22 CDT