Re: Oracle 9i RAC vs Hardware clustering (like HACMP)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:14:38 -0700

Praveen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are exploring the options of high availability. Harware clustering
> seems to be the first choice and using Oracle RAC on a hardware
> cluster would further enhance availability. But could anyone let me
> know the advantages of using Oracle RAC instead of plain hardware
> clustering such as HACMP.
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen

Cost
Fail-over

RAC will cost far less. I recently priced an identical system Sun vs Dell. Same number of CPUs. Sun was $750K ... Dell/NetApp ... 1/3 the price after counting the cost of the RAC licenses to Oracle.

Remember without RAC ... to purchase backup capability requires duplicating everything. And even with that you won't have subsecond failover.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington