Re: 10g Enterprise Manager

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:36:00 +1000

There is a worked paper on its use specifically inside a virtual machine at www.dizwell.com (see the Virtual Oracle paper under DBA Tips - Other). It leads on to instructions for doing a 9i or 10g installation.

> Q:
> 1) I am assuming it's not 10g cerified.

It's an interesting point. It is of course certified in the sense that White Box is nothing more than a free clone of Red Hat Enterprise Server 3. But it *isn't* RHES3, so no, it's not actually certified.

> but people have been installing
> Oracle on it
> with no problem like we been doing with the better-known distro like RH
> and SuSE ?

You're joking, right? Red Hat 8 and 9 installations were never trouble-free! LD_ASSUME_KERNEL, edit INSO_LINK, etc etc etc.

I've given up documenting Oracle onto any non-certified Linux platform because they always have issues. So of course do certified platforms (have you seen how many Metalink patches you must acquire before even starting a 9i Release 2 on RHES3 installation?!) -but at least Oracle publishes the issues and workarounds.

But whatever. I again come back to the essential point: White Box Linux is not a 'lesser known' distro. It *is* Red Hat Enterprise Server 3. Take all of Red Hat's source RPMs and compile them, taking the opportunity to remove any proprietary Red Hat logos, artwork and notices: that's all White Box is.

> 2) Do you have a White Box Linux installation/setup doc like you the one > you did before on i think RH ?

Already answered. Yes, in short.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Oct 18 2004 - 14:36:00 CDT