Re: optimize this!

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_DELETETHIS.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:54:44 +0100

FC wrote:
> Daniel,
> I am not concerned about current table's size of course, but this table
> could easily grow up to 1.000.000 rows or 10.000.000 rows, so I am just
> making sure my application is scalable. Moreover this query is needed to
> populate a drop down list, so the user should wait as little as possible to
> get the output as this is not the only SQL query that is run to build up the
> page.
>
> Flavio

Tom Kyte has an example in his latest book on this very 'drop down filler' query and how to optimise it. He suggests using a PL/SQL table which is read at startup with the details and that is queried rather than the table itself.

Of course, if you have 1,000,000 or 10,000,000 rows in your drop down, it could take a while to populate and knowing Windows (assumption, you are using Windows) it will barf long before you get 1,000,000 rows worth of data in it !

If I remember correctly, the physical table is assumed to be static, so there is no need to update the memory table, but that is "easily" done if required.

Mind you, the more rows in the physical table you have means a bigger slice of RAM is needed for the memory equivalent, so as ever 'it depends'. :o)

Cheers,
Norm.