Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Rhino <rhino1_at_NOSPAM.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:57:02 -0400

One of my friends, Scott, is a consultant who doesn't currently have newsgroup access so I am asking these questions for him. I'll be telling him how to monitor the answers via Google Newsgroup searches.

Scott has heard a lot of hype about DB2 and Oracle and is trying to understand the pros and cons of each product. I'm quite familiar with DB2 but have never used Oracle so I can't make any meaningful comparisons for him. He does not have a lot of database background but sometimes has to choose or recommend a database to his clients.

Scott has enough life-experience to take the marketing information produced by IBM and Oracle with a grain of salt and would like to hear from real DBAs, especially ones who are fluent with both products, for their views on two questions:

  1. What are the pros and cons of the current releases of DB2 and Oracle?
  2. What other sources of *independent* information are available to help someone new to databases choose between DB2 and Oracle?

This is *not* a troll and we don't want to start a flame war! Scott just want some honest facts to help him decide which product is best at which jobs.

--
Rhino