Re: Problem

From: Brian Dick <bdick_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:15:51 -0400

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:02:44 GMT, Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Brian Dick wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:33:35 GMT, Hans Forbrich wrote:
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> I just paid $x for Oracle.  Why isn't it faster?
>>
>> Set the dynamic initialization parameter FAST=true. The default is
>> FAST=false.
>>
>> <snip/>

> When did they change that to a boolean?
>
> Wasn't that a char string with the valid domain {NEVER, PERIODIC,
> INTERMITTENT, ALWAYS} and the default set to "FAST = INTERMITTENT" to help
> us consultants???
>
> /Hans

The domain values you list were deprecated in 10g under Oracle's push for "lights out" operation. I didn't paraphrase the docs completely, though. The default I specified is for platforms other than Oracle Imbedded running on the Palm Pilot. On the Palm Pilot the default is FAST=true. I guess Oracle expects the hardware on the other platforms to compensate for the (lack of) internal optimizations. Received on Mon Oct 18 2004 - 07:15:51 CDT