Re: Make table read-only

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:59:48 +1000

Ralf Zwanziger wrote:

> Is ist possible to make an oracle table read-only?
> (without moving it to a read-only tablespace).
> I haven't found any command like "alter table xxx read only" in the
> docs.
>
> Bye,
> Ralf

No, there's no such concept. Except, as Mark notes elsewhere, that if a user only has permissions to select, then -for that user- the table is effectively read-only. But the table's owner will always have read-write access to it.

But what is the problem with moving it to a read-only tablespace? That, after all, is precisely what tablespaces are there for: to allow your database to be chopped up into small pieces that have different administrative requirements. If you have a table which is now read-only, its characteristics have changed, and it should be handled accordingly.

What's the actual business requirement/problem here, then? And why is moving the table not an option?

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Oct 18 2004 - 06:59:48 CDT