Re: AQ vs. PL/SQL for implementing a messaging queue

From: Steven Garcia <stevengarcia_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2004 22:50:01 -0700

> Hi Steve:
>
> If you can, you might want to re-think your design so that instead of
> having both database transactions and messages, you only have a
> message. The message itself when received will cause/trigger the
> database transaction.

We have thought of this approach and it might work for a portion of our application, but overall we can't get around this issue.

> If that design change is not workable, then, yes, by all means use AQ.
> The second approach of simulating a queue without actually having one
> has all sorts of potential to not be at all scalable and even if you
> get it working, break down in the future when other application
> changes come along.
>
> Looping in the application code in a NOWAIT until it succeeds is not
> where you want to go.

That is what I'm afraid of, yet there is poster after you that has had success. We would have to use the NOWAIT clause and loop in the application code and that just seems to break all good coding tenents.