Re: Design question : Normalize or Not to normalize ?

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 17 Oct 2004 12:01:28 -0800

xtanto (krislioe_at_gmail.com) wrote:
: Hi,
: Thanks for the response.
: After normalization, the transaction table only has Emp_Code, while
: the Emp_Name is stored in the master table. Master table is indexed on
: Emp_Name and transaction table cannot be.
: The question is :
: If I want to query on Emp_Name on Transaction table, will it scan
: table ? or can it utilize the Index on Emp_Name on master table ?

Not sure off hand, but why not add simply an index for Emp_Code in Master table? I would doubt that the master table is going to be changing so often that another index would be a problem, and I would suspect that the Emp_Code in the Master table would be used in other lookups as well, so the one index will likely help in multiple situations. Received on Sun Oct 17 2004 - 15:01:28 CDT