Easy way to distribute a new entry into the TNSNames File..

From: Alley <alison.harrington_at_jfcom.mil>
Date: 15 Oct 2004 06:37:29 -0700

Hi, I need to see if I can get some advice on the best way to do this, I am not a DBA so bear with me please..

I have a VB app that the exe runs from a network drive.. We just added a new Oracle back end and I need to have all the current users be able to use the new Oracle features..

I really dont want to have to go into each users TNSNames file and insert the new entry for the Oracle DB..

TNSNames Entry:
JIDB_ORACLE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mickey.mouse.mil)(PORT = 1111))

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = devel)
    )
  )
VB Connection String:
 With gOCnn

.CursorLocation = adUseClient
.ConnectionString = "Driver={Oracle ODBC Driver};" & _

           "Dbq=JIDB_ORACLE;Uid=" & uid & ";Pwd=" & pw

.Open

    End With

I found a posting that said to put a TNSNames file on the network where the VB app is with only the New DB entry (JIDB_ORACLE).. Ok, But I am not getting how this works.. How does my machine know to look there instead of the local TNSNames.. And if I run another app that uses the local TNSNames services will it know to look in the network one and if it does not find the service name to look in the local one??

I am researching if in my VB connection string I can give it a path for the TNSNames file, but I dont remember seeing anything like that..

Help....
Thanks Alley Received on Fri Oct 15 2004 - 08:37:29 CDT