Re: Procedure to migrate a procedure

From: Richard Elliott <richard.a.elliott_at_williams.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2004 05:02:59 -0700

Brian Dick <bdick_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:<p0xc8jgs5s8y$.1kikyxgavjkpx$.dlg_at_40tude.net>...
> On 14 Oct 2004 05:47:37 -0700, Richard Elliott wrote:
>
> > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1097721573.267150_at_yasure>...

> >> Do you really have a need to reinvent the wheel?
> >>
> >> Why not use the tools Oracle provides?
> >
> > By migrate I mean copy from instance a (our staging db) to instance b
> > (production). I need to be able to do this for most object types,
> > procs, triggers, packages etc. I mentioned links because I was
> > thinking about sql running on b that referenced the objects on a. I
> > don't have any desire to reinvent the wheel, that's why I asked if
> > there was a standard. Currently to migrate an object I connect to the
> > instance it's on, select the source code, paste it into a sql editor
> > (toad), connect to the "to" instance and execute it.
> >

> > If you would be so kind as to be specific about the "tools Oracle
> > provides" it would be a lot more helpfull.
> >
> > Thanks !
>
> Migrating source from instance to instance is error prone and has
> irreproducible results. You should be building your databases from source
> control using shell scripts or ant (my favorite). Scripts can be tested,
> tested, and tested again. Scripts give you a systemic process you can
> improve. And you can log their actions.

Brian, that sounds like what I want to do. Logging is a big plus. By source control do you mean something like Visual Source Safe or one of versioning applications ? I'll do a google on ant. I appreciate all the input on what I should be doing in place of what I am doing now. I already know I need to do it differently. What I'm looking for is specifics on how to do it better/different. I'm not a trained DBA (DUH) but have inherited the migration tasks for the application I support. I want to do it right, but could use some specific (examples ?) help getting there from here. Thanks in advance for all the help so far. Received on Fri Oct 15 2004 - 07:02:59 CDT