Re: script problem solved, but I still don't understand ....

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2004 16:28:58 -0700

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<dr5tm0p1v8gf3nt2iarmfege20dt06iepm_at_4ax.com>...

> And still leaves me with the fundamental question of how I was able to
> get a good connect -- *not* a 'connected to an idle instance' -- then
> have the first DML statement result in a ORA-01034: ORACLE not
> available.

I'm frustrated as heck right now because I've done this same thing and can't remember the answer.

But it might be something like being logged on as root rather than the oracle user, so you can connect, because that just means running sqlplus, but when you try to actually do anything you get the 1034 because the shared memory area is owned by oracle:dba (or whatever) and root is explicitly enjoined from doing certain things in Oracle, even if it is in the dba group.

I also have a vague memory of something like this when I forgot the - in the su - oracle, where the oracle .profile had the proper environment call and the sysadmin had tried to run oracle things as root, so the environment was partly set up under cron.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2004/10/13/phishing.html