Re: DBA view slow

From: M Rothwell <ThisIsABadAddress_at_toobad.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:02:59 -0700

Ed Stevens wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:53:48 -0700, M Rothwell
> <ThisIsABadAddress_at_toobad.com> wrote:
>

>>Oracle 9.2.0.4 on HP-UX
>>
>>I have a dev tool that runs a bunch of queries at start-up and when I'm
>>monitoring the db.
>>
>>The following query can take several minutes to return.
>>
>>SELECT 1
>> FROM SYS.DBA_EXTENTS
>> WHERE ROWNUM = 1
>>
>>I tried to do an explain plan on it, but dont have the proper privs.
>>The powers that be (corp DBA's) say that you shouldn't run stats on sys
>>tables.
>>
>>I cant change the query, or add a hint because it's embedded in the
>>tool. Is there anything I can have the DBA's do to make this query
>>perform better. I cant even figure out why the tool is running this query.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Michael
>

> Just for grins, have you tried executing that query from SQL*Plus?  If
> the tool runs 'a bunch of queries' how do you know this single query
> is the culprit?

I captured all the SQL statements that were being run, then I ran each statement in SQL*Plus. This is the only statement that was slow. The others returned data quite quickly.

I'll see if I can talk the DBA's into analyzing the table. I have my doubts, but it cant hurt to ask.

Michael Received on Thu Oct 14 2004 - 11:02:59 CDT