Re: Procedure to migrate a procedure

From: Richard Elliott <richard.a.elliott_at_williams.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2004 05:47:37 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1097721573.267150_at_yasure>...
> Richard Elliott wrote:
>
> > I need to automate migrations of objects from one instance to another.
> > I have the db links, but could use an example of a procedure or pl/sql
> > to do the migrations. If possible I would like to just set up a single
> > line for each object being migrated, vs. a cut and paste. Is there a
> > standard way to do this ?
> > Thanks in advance for the help.
> >
> > I have 8.1.7 and also have Toad 8 so I can set up an Oracle Job pretty
> > easily.
>
> Do you really have a need to reinvent the wheel?
>
> Why not use the tools Oracle provides?

By migrate I mean copy from instance a (our staging db) to instance b (production). I need to be able to do this for most object types, procs, triggers, packages etc. I mentioned links because I was thinking about sql running on b that referenced the objects on a. I don't have any desire to reinvent the wheel, that's why I asked if there was a standard. Currently to migrate an object I connect to the instance it's on, select the source code, paste it into a sql editor (toad), connect to the "to" instance and execute it.

If you would be so kind as to be specific about the "tools Oracle provides" it would be a lot more helpfull.

Thanks ! Received on Thu Oct 14 2004 - 07:47:37 CDT