Re: Surrogate Key vs Production Key

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2004 07:43:11 -0500

On 14 Oct 2004, wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:
> "Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote in message

>> My comments were specific to the data modeling phase
>> (conceptual model) but discovery does continue during initial
>> implementation as well as ongoing use of the data. No analyst,
>> and no data model, perfectly captures every nuance of a
>> business at the first take -- new discoveries typically
>> clarify earlier incorrect, arbitrary or misconceived ideas.

> There is a recommendation then to use surrogate keys if I ever
> saw one. If you can't be 100% sure you have discovered all the
> nuances and possible relationships, how can you then define
> your tables with a potentialy complex relationship tree with
> natural keys? How can you now use PKs based on those natural
> keys in extensive FK/PK trees? What will happen to the FKs
> first time you need to change the PK because your analysis
> discovered a hidden natural key?

Here here. You explain my thoughts much better as I disagreed with Daniel in another posting as he counters with not starting until specs are signed off on. Even if one were to have signed off specs the data architect should be flogged if his design doesn't allow for corrections and additions to it. One should most definitely be able to start the project without knowing everything. One should most definitely architect a solution which is able support new discovery during the lifecycle of design, development and production deployment and also after it is in production.

--
Galen Boyer