Re: [ORA10g] Problems with Restore/recover

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:32:34 +0200

Volker Zink wrote:
> I am currently configuring an Oracle10 database so our application
> does work under Oracle 10. So i did configure archiving and rman. I
> want to mention here that i did configure rman to use the flashback
> area. I did a online backup. All worked. Now i want to test
> recover/restore and just moved the datafiles away. Reading the
> Oracle-documentation on this (Whole Database Restore and Recovery):
>

>>To restore and recover the database when the current control file is available:
>>1. After connecting to the target database, make sure the database is mounted.

> First the controlfile is not available. I want to recover it. Because
> i use oracle managed files and flashback area i don't have set
> autobackup format.
>
> so i tried something like (used the correct DBID)
>

>>RMAN> SET DBID 320066378;
>>RMAN> RUN {
>>SET CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO

> 'autobackup_format';
>
>>RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM AUTOBACKUP;
>>}

> but i omit 'set controlfile autobackup format ... ' but get an not
> connected error. Trying to connect always results in an ORA-12560
> error (i tried different things like setting ORALCE_SID followed by
> connect / as sysdba, but in this scenario they didn't work). When the
> database is running a 'connect / as sysdba' was no problem). Under
> Oracle 9i.2 this was sometimes problematic too, but worked somehow.
>
> So can someone point me to the correct actions? I assume i have to log
> into the nonexisting database first (entries in tnsnames.ora and
> listener.ora are still there and worked fine unless i moved the
> database files). How do i do this (with connect / as sysdba)? How do i
> restore the controlfile if i use the flashback area (setting the dbid
> and then do a simple 'restore controlfile from autobackup')?
>
> Maybe its a problem that i have both Oracle 10 and Oracle 9 on the
> same WinXP-machine?
>
> Volker

RMAN always connects as sysdba. So something with your connect string must be wrong. Assuming that you
- set ORACLE_SID to the appropriate value - set your default Home to your Oracle 10g Home(which is normally done automatically

   during install if it was the most recently installed version) - are using an OS Account that is a member of the ORA_DBA group (the one you

   used for installing Oracle)

then your connect string boils down to

        rman target /

Now maybe your instance is shutdown, so an startup nomount might be required. On windows you also have to make sure first that the service named OracleService<SID> is up and running.

 From now on, continue reading the documentation (which is very commendable that you actually did it before asking :-) ) and perform the listed steps.

I can't tell if you missed something more important, because sofar i did not test this particular scenario with 10g, but if rman tells me I'm not connected, I'd concentrate on connecting properly.

HTH Holger Received on Wed Oct 13 2004 - 02:32:34 CDT