Re: MSAccess and Oracle

From: Michael Squires <mikes_at_cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:38:11 +0000 (UTC)

In article <tjknm097fmntbqfthf7ebjucjfl6vtd0ii_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.verwijderdit.nl> wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:11:08 +0200, "Déian" <dvikov_at_qualigrag.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>I have many problems when try to connect MSAccess to an Oracle database, do
>>you know how to do this (which ODBC driver, what parameters)
>>
>>Thanks
>>

>It basically requires
>a) setting up normal connectivity to Oracle
>b) setting up an appropiate entry in the ODBC administrator.
>And that's all there is to it.

Not with 10g, however; I've been unable to link Oracle tables using the Oracle 10g client connecting to a 10g clustered environment. Using the 9i client works, but the new recyclebin feature causes problems (if a table is dropped but not purged and then recreated Access will continue to see the dropped table and not the new table with the same name).

Access versions are 2002 and 2003.

The result of linking is that the table structure is displayed, but all fields contain "#Deleted" instead of the value. This appears to be related to an old Access 97 bug caused by Access being unable to handle the variable definitions provided by Oracle.

Mike Squires
msquires at iga.state.in.us

--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu)     317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)