Re: Tuning question - low cpu_time, high elapsed_time - what gives?

From: Steve B <BigBoote66_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2004 07:08:26 -0700

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns957FB795CB741SunnySD_at_68.6.19.6>...
> enable event 10046 at level 8
> run the resultant trace file thru TKPROF.
> TKPROF's output will reveal the culprit SQL statement(s).
> Then tune the ones where a large discrepency between
> elapsed & CPU time exists.
>
> You can search the achives of the ORACLE-L email list
> to complete instructions on how to do all this

I'm not sure I understand your advice. We know which sql statements are the slow ones - I left them out of the output above for space purposes. However, the same statement that runs slowly (with the large elapsed time but favorable statistics) will run just fine if you re-execute it at a later date (with physical i/o being the same), so the statement is already "tuned". I believe the real problem is some kind of resource contention, and I'm looking for a way of identifying the resource that is causing the slowdown.

-Steve Received on Tue Oct 12 2004 - 09:08:26 CDT