Re: Surrogate Key vs Production Key

From: ats <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:19:04 -0700

Noons wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1097351998.288054_at_yasure>...
>

>>Use a surrogate key and the mistake is in there forever. Seems to me
>>that you've made our argument for us as well as we did.

> Once again: no clue about surrogate keys.
> Did you even read what I wrote?
> Who said the natural key won't have a unique key?
> Are you even reading?

I could ask the same ... and I am. What I said was that if you use a surrogate key the only way to ensure data integrity is to create a unique constraint on the natural keys. For example:

ABBREV     STATE_NAME
NE         Nebraska
NB         Nebraska

Solve this with a surrogate key if you can. I can't!

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington