Re: drop table + free space in tablespaces

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:36:17 +0200

On 11 Oct 2004 08:09:15 -0700, diana.krapf_at_gmx.de (Diana) wrote:

>hello,
>
>does the filesize of the tablespace's datafile shrink if I drop a
>table or an index?

No

>is it possible to compress the datafiles without exporting and
>re-importing the data?

It depends as usual on your version. In 8i and higher 'alter table move' effectively reorganises the table. Note: any indexes on the table will need to be rebuild
>which tools can I use?

IIRC Oracle Enterprise Manager comes with a reorg module. Toad also has such a module at extra cost.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA