Can the database go on with a data file withs tatus RECOVER?

From: Randi W <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:52:32 +0200

Oracle ver. 8.1.7, NT:

I had a disk crash on the disk containing one of the datafiles in the TEMP tablespace. I have no backup routines on this database (yes, I know this is stupid, so please do not comment on this).

I managed to get my database running by using this command in svrmgrl:

alter database datafile 'G:\ORADATA\ORAPOO1\TEMP02.DBF' offline drop;

In v$datafile the status of this file is 'RECOVER'. My question is: Can my database 'live on' with the file having this status? As it is the TEMP tablespace I figure there is no data in the file at this time, and I can add more files if more temporary space is needed. OR - will Oracle give error messages when trying to allocate more space in temp tablespace, and finding that one of the data files has 'RECOVER' status ?

Thanks for any help on this,
Randi W. Received on Mon Oct 11 2004 - 07:52:32 CDT