Re: RAID on Hotspots....

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_snet.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:09:51 GMT

"rich" <oracle_man_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:56f4f26c.0410061218.7577d9d_at_posting.google.com...
> All,
>
> It seams that in the Oracle on Linux shop i/o doesn't follow
> tradition. It used to be that you always separated things physicaly
> on different controllers, different disk, etc... Today it's just one
> big RAID array and everything goes on it. How many of you have 10 EMC
> arrays? I'll bet not many, if any. How are you separating data from
> index, redo logs from arhived redo logs, temp from undo?
>
> Please send your solutions to rheadrick_at_tickleinc.com
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Our EMC guys have set up different RAID configurations for redo and archive logs (RAID10), while
the rest of the data and backup areas are in RAID 5 and I forgot the correct term, but it might be
disk groups or storage groups. So they have the SAN partitioned so that the redo and archive logs which require
better write performance are both mirrored and stripped (I think the striping is at least 7 disks deep).
Each of our two towers at this point contains about 8GB of cache. The towers are filling fast too, so I would expect another 6 -12 months and they will be full of
disks. Received on Sat Oct 09 2004 - 12:09:51 CDT