Re: Heirarchical query of non heirarchical table join

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 9 Oct 2004 10:20:20 GMT

In article <8e6b14d8.0410071445.553f3d2a_at_posting.google.com>, steve deno wrote:
> All,
>
> I am building a form where a heirarchical tree control would be very
> useful. In the documentation I have looked at, they only speak of
> querying heirarchical tables with self joins. Has anyone queried
> multi-level master detail relationships in to a tree? For example, If
> I had a Houses table, a rooms table and a furniture table - for lack
> of a better example, and wanted to have a house which can be clicked
> on, showing rooms, which have furniture items underneath. Would a
> view based on these tables joined by their primary keys be usable in a
> heirarchical tree using the psuedo columns Level, etc. I need to read
> further to understand the queries, but if anyone has had experience, a
> simple example would be very helpful.

Hierarchical queries (using connect by, prior and level) are different in their nature than 1:n queries. In your house, room, furniture example, you know that there are only three levels in the result hierarchy. However, in the typical employee, manager hierarchical query, there is theoretically no limit in how many levels you receive when you do your query.

hth
Rene

--
  Rene Nyffenegger