Re: ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Oct 2004 14:52:23 -0700

spraveen2001_at_yahoo.com (Praveen) wrote in message news:<98d8ec76.0410080457.414cdecc_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using oracle 10g in window XP system. java programmers will be
> accessing the database. Frequently they will get "ORA-12518:
> TNS:listener could not hand off" error and through sqlplus also i'll
> get this error. But, after sometime it works fine. I checked
> tnsnames.ora and listner.ora files entry. they seems to be ok. i have
> used system name itself for HOST flag instead of IP address. But still
> i'm getting this error.
>
> Can anybody tell me what might be the problem?

12518, 00000, "TNS:listener could not hand off client connection"

// *Cause: The process of handing off a client connection to another process
// failed.
// *Action: Turn on listener tracing and re-execute the operation. Verify
// that the listener and database instance are properly configured for
// direct handoff.  If problem persists, call Oracle Support.
// *Comment: The problem can be worked around by configuring dispatcher(s)
// to specifically handle the desired presentation(s), and connecting
// directly to the dispatcher, bypassing the listener.

I would wildly speculate the hostname resolution is too slow.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041008/news_1b8prgn.html