Estimating the impact of reducing Redo log size.

From: MAK <maks70_at_comcast.net>
Date: 7 Oct 2004 22:27:38 -0700

Estimating the impact of reducing Redo log size.

Currently I have online redo log file size of 2GB. I intend to reduce this size to 1GB if performance impact is minimal. I have looked at statspack report for peak redo generation interval(1 hour).

I observed that only 12 second wait for 'log file switch completion' for 6 log swithes in 1hour interval. Additionaly I looked at statistics like 'redo size' , 'redo log space request' , 'redo log space wait time' and all these telling me that if I reduce redo logfile size to 1GB, wait time would be 24 seconds for 1 hour interval, which look pretty light to me.

Am I missing anything here.. Do I need to look at something else?

Event                               Waits   Timeouts   Time (s)   (ms)

log file switch completion          65      5          12          182

Statistics                            Value.

redo size                             13,437,787,536

redo log space requests               80

redo log space wait time              1,246