Re: HELP : Move old database in old machine to new database in new machine

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Oct 2004 17:56:53 -0700

fungcheung_at_yahoo.com (James Cheung) wrote in message news:<9d46429.0410061920.32be274a_at_posting.google.com>...
> What are the possible upgrade options for the following situations ?
>
> From(Old machine) To(New machine)
> ======================= ================
> Oracle 8.0.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2
> Oracle 8.0.6/HP 10.20 Oralce 9i/HP 11.0
> Oracle 8.1.5/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2
> Oracle 8.1.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2
> Oracle 8.1.7/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2
> Oralce 8i/Solaris 2.6 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i
> Oralce 8i/Solaris 5.8 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i
> Oralce 8i/Solaris 8i Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i
>

> A. Background and limitations
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Data size: Vary from a few gigabytes to a few terabytes
> Down time: A few hours, such as 8 hours.
> Old/new machines location: Locate in different countries and connected
> by WAN.

I agree with the others that in general exp/imp is the way to go. The other methods require the db to be the same version at some point. There are methods to speed up exp/imp, including piping directly from exp to imp.

However, if you have terabytes, I don't think you will be able to do it in 8 hours. There are things you can do to speed it up, but that is still a lot of data.

In those sorts of cases, a dblink with CTAS can work wonders. It takes less time because you aren't reading through the whole TB, writing it out, transferring it over, reading it in with the associated extent work. You just have to be sure and have a fast, reliable network connection.

Of course you need to test these things, but my recent experience with a particular setup between disimilar platforms (so couldn't just pipe) was the CTAS was faster (by 4X), including creating indices and stats.  In the past (including the recent past with a different project), my experience was always dblinks were slow.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"i want the RAW tkprof with timings -- no explain plans (they can