Re: Do I need Index for FK and these Queries ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:09:44 +1000

Jim Smith wrote:

> In message <4165093c$0$4310$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>, Howard J.
> Rogers <howardjr_at_dizwell.com> writes

>>Jim Smith wrote:
>>
>>> In message <4164e5de$0$10351$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>, Howard J.
>>> Rogers <howardjr_at_dizwell.com> writes

>>> Does the fact that (a,b) is the leading portion of the primary key have
>>> not any effect on this?
>>

>>Can we try being a little more precise? Have an effect on what?
>>
> Sorry. Should have snipped a bit.
>
> On the need for an index on the FK to avoid the table locking problem if
> you change the PK.

Nope. I'm still lost, and snipping's not going to help. Precision might.

The guy says Table B has a primary key (a,b). You ask about (a,b) being the "leading portion" of the primary key. (a,b) *is* the primary key.

If you are asking whether updating 2 columns of a 3 column primary key avoids the locking issue (or 1 of a 2 etc), no it doesn't.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Oct 07 2004 - 06:09:44 CDT