Re: HELP : Move old database in old machine to new database in new machine

From: Anton Dischner <nomail_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:46:08 +0200

Hi James,

i'd prefer Method 1:

Build up new system without downtime of old system -> enough time, room for errors, tunig.

Make exp from old system while uptime.
Maybe use consistent=yes. If yes: watch for rollback segments.

gzip the *.dmp files, you will save a -lot- of bandwidth. Rsync is great for this job, can go via ssh, limit bandwith etc.

Import data into new system.
As a side effect ata will be defragmented. I've seen great speed improvements.
Test new system!

If everything goes OK.
Take old system off-line and repeat the exp-imp procedure.

This is my standard procedure for > 10 years.

I alway prefer to have a new system without old stuff.

There have been Oracle errors with upgraded databases!

kind regards,

Toni Received on Thu Oct 07 2004 - 05:46:08 CDT