Re: temporary datafiles not being used

From: Hans Wijte <Hans.Wijte_at_mail.ing.nl>
Date: 7 Oct 2004 03:14:40 -0700

mjern92_at_yahoo.com (Michael Jernigan) wrote in message news:<d2befb10.0410041236.4e33a836_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a temporary tablespace with 4 data files of 1GB each. The 1st
> and 4th appear to be used. There is no activity on the 2nd and 3rd
> files. Is that normal? There is a lot of contention on the files
> that are being used. To reduce the contention would it be better to
> have smaller files, but more of them?

How do you know your TEMP tablespace has 4 datafiles of 1Gb each; is that the output of a "select name from v$tempfile;" or "....from v$datafile;" statement ? Or do you see 4 files %temp% of 1 Gb each in a filesystem and you just naturally assumed they all belong to your temporary tablespace?

In my experience, when a temporary tablespace has 4 tempfiles/datafiles, they all are used when a query comes along that asks for a sort that is so large it must use them all

Regards,

HAnS Received on Thu Oct 07 2004 - 05:14:40 CDT