Re: Periodic restart plusses and minuses?

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:45:35 GMT

Mark D Powell wrote:

> The business requirements and available backup resources are the key here.
> A cold backup offers the advantage over a hot backup of being a
> consistent point in time recovery all by itself if the forward recovery
> runs into an issue accessing the archived redo logs. However, if the
> archived redo logs are being written to a separate disk from the database
> files and online logs then the only real risk involved with forward
> recovery is running into redo log corruption.
>
> I would suggest using hot backups throught the week and perhaps making a
> cold backup over the weekend if time permitted.

Totally agree with all the responses that say 'stick with the business reasons'.

However ... like any internet flame war, the two involved are getting stoopid and any attempt to reason things out will result in sideline participants getting burned. Only things to do are walk or throw on a pail of water - in the form of white papers - to help put out the flames. Once the silliness is over, we can get back to the true business reasons.

/Hans Received on Wed Oct 06 2004 - 18:45:35 CDT